Last year 2019, the Nigerian Immigration boos accused some former senators and governors of still retaining their diplomatic passports after their tenure has expired in office. Under the Nigerian immigration law, governors and some senators that hold some key positions are subject to have diplomatic passports.
Many have wondered about what is special about this red Nigerian diplomatic passport and what makes it different from the normal 32 pages that we have in Nigeria. Going through the privileges and perks that come along with this passport, we see why these senators and governors will not want to surrender their passport anytime soon.
According to the Nigerian Immigration, only the former presidents and vice presidents have the opportunity to hold on to their diplomatic passports for life. Others are meant to submit their passports once their tenure expires.
One of the ways to identify a Nigerian Diplomatic Passport is that it’s red in color unlike the usual green passport that everyone has, it also has a 10-year expiry date attached to it.
What makes A Diplomatic Passport Special?
Diplomatic passports are simply passports used by diplomats to identify them as assigned the duty to manage negotiations and other official affairs on behalf of a country or state. This is what is referred to as conducting diplomacy. So is this the only purpose of a diplomatic passport? Does it have any privileges toa diplomat? Is it worth having it? we will be answering you all your questions bit by bit below.
Remember, an honorary consul is not a holder of a diplomatic passport and hence he does not enjoy the following privileges.
Advantages And Privileges Of Having A Diplomatic Passport
The most important advantage of diplomatic passports is that it is proof that the holder enjoys diplomatic immunity and identifies an honorary consul to the authorities of the host country. However, there are other numerous advantages and privileges of having a diplomatic passport. These privileges vary from one state to the other and with the main objective behind the diplomatic appointments.
Some of the common advantages and privileges’ of having a diplomatic passport include;
- Red carpet treatment by international governments
- When travelling, a diplomat may use the diplomatic channels of airports and will not be subject to time delaying and annoying customer checks
- Diplomatic immunity- under international law, the office and the residence of diplomats are extended sovereign status, as such, they are off-limits to all governments and their agents — even in their native countries.
· Diplomatic passport not only raises the business success of the diplomat but also boosts the or her social status and prestige.
· A diplomat acquires free diplomatic vehicle license plates (CC or CD)
· A diplomat enjoys no travel or airport departure tax. Once a diplomat acquires a passport he or she is freed of any tax that may result from travelling either on land or on air. An honorary consul or a diplomat can, therefore, travel from one state not only quickly but also cheaply as no tax is imposed on him.
· A diplomatic passport holder enjoys confident movement and activity internationally. Once one acquires a passport, travelling becomes easier. The so many questions and requirements at the airport are greatly reduced. This enabled a diplomat to get to his area of destination on time. Similarly, any activity that a diplomatic passport holder may get involved in, either in his native country or in the host country is made easier.
· A diplomatic passport holder is freed of tax liability on income from outside the host country. Doesn’t that sound great? Yeah, it does. A diplomat who has not only confirmed his acceptance of the diplomatic appointment but has also acquired a diplomatic passport pay no tax on income that comes from other countries or states apart from the host country.
See, there are a million and one advantages and privileges of having a diplomatic passport. It is not of no great importance as many people are programmed to think. It is actually something that you do not have to think much about whether you need to apply for or not. It is instead something that everyone should strive to acquire before the end of times.
Remember, diplomats who have confirmed the acceptance of the diplomatic appointments and are ready to serve their native state are the only holders of a diplomatic passport.
Railway20 hours ago
Sanwo-Olu Orders Clean-Up Along Lagos Red Line Corridor As Project Nears Completion
News3 days ago
Southwestern Medical Center
Railway20 hours ago
PHOTOS: Sanwo-Olu Inspects Lagos Red Line Rail Infrastructure
News20 hours ago
LASEMA Rescue Two Adults At Ojuelegba Truck Accident, Recovers Affected Containerized Truck, Car
Car Talk17 hours ago
Checkout Polestar Synergy Electric Fantasy Supercar That Combines Three Winning Designs of Polestar Design Contest
News19 hours ago
Ogun Reaffirms Commitment To Maintaining The Abeokuta-Sagamu Road
News19 hours ago
Gridlock As Heavily Loaded Truck Falls On Lagos Bridge
Roads & Construction18 hours ago
FG To Reconstruct Collapsed Enugu/Port Harcourt Expressway Bridge – Umahi