Here Are Steps To Make Complaint Against A FRSC Officer
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) is the Government Agency with statutory responsibilities for road safety administration in Nigeria. Founded in 1988, the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) operates in all Nigerian states as well as the Federal Capital Territory and is the leading agency in Nigeria on road safety administration and management.
The statutory functions include: Making the highways safe for motorists and other road users as well as checking road worthiness of vehicles, recommending works and infrastructures to eliminate or minimize accidents on the highways and educating motorists and members of the public on the importance of road discipline on the highways.
As vital as the work and duty of FRSC is, some of its officers have to abuse the privilege to exhort the public. Recently, a video went viral of how men of the FRSC were beating a bus driver, the members which were about 5 in number were seen hitting, slapping, kicking and blowing the man, the video has generated a lot of backlash from the members of the public.
The question, however, is how to report an erring FRSC corp member? It will be good if we know the duties and functions of this unit… AutoReportNG did a list of their functions which can be seen here.
Part of their duties include
– Arrest any person suspected of having committed an offence
– Remove and detain any illegally parked vehicle
– Endorse your driving licence if found guilty of the offence;
– Seize the driver’s licence of any person suspected to have committed an offence and/or the documents or particulars in respect of the vehicles
– Impound a vehicle suspected to have been stolen where the driver fails to produce the particulars of the vehicle
– Declare an offender as wanted when he fails to report to answer the charge against him
Your Rights As A Road User
If an FRSC official, arrests you for allegedly contravening a road traffic offence; you can either:
– Accept liability and pay the summary fine, or
– Contest the charge and ask for a trial by a court of competent jurisdiction
In a situation whereby your right has been trampled upon or where you are maltreated, you have the right to complain, report and send a report to the headquarters using these processes
f you have a complaint about the conduct or activities of an FRSC official during the exercise of his/her functions, these are the steps you are to follow:
Making An Official Complain Process
* Take note of the FRSC official’s name, it is written boldly on their uniform
* Note down the date, time and place of commission of the issue you are complaining about
* Write a covering letter detailing the nature of your complaint and what transpired
* If you have witnesses to the act complained about, have the witness write a statement as well
* Put all your contact information (and those of the witness if any) on the correspondence
* Include any additional information like pictures, videos, or documents to buttress your complaint.
* Send it through email at email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com
* Deliver in person or by post at – Federal Road Safety Corps, National Headquarters, 3 Maputo Street., Zone 3, Wuse, Abuja, Nigeria.
* Ensure you get confirmation of receipt of your complaint
* If you do not get a response or you receive an unsatisfactory response, you may contact a lawyer and instruct them to take the matter further
It will be recalled that in February 1988, the Federal Government established the Federal Road Safety Commission through Decree No. 45 of 1988 as amended by Decree 35 of 1992 referred to in the statute books as the FRSC Act cap 141 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria (LFN), passed by the National Assembly as Federal Road Safety Corps (establishment) Act 2007.
Related News: COVID-19: Airlines Lose N17bn Monthly – Sirika
You must be logged in to post a comment Login